The first step to take if you are involved in an out-of-state car accident is not to panic. Rest assured that many of the same policies and procedures that would happen in a car accident in your own state are very similar to those if you are involved in an out-of-state car accident. However, since you may feel slightly disoriented and out of your element in another state, here are some steps to take if you find yourself involved in an accident outside of your home state.

Follow the Same Steps Immediately After the Accident

The same steps should be following an accident throughout the United States. Contact 911, request an ambulance if necessary, get yourself to safety, obtain the contact information of any other drivers or witnesses, as well as the insurance information from any other driver or drivers involved in the accident. Take pictures of the accident scene if possible. Always make sure to seek immediate medical treatment for any injuries, even minor ones, following an accident.

Your Next Steps the Week After the Car Accident

While you will want to contact your insurance company, you should know how your insurance company will likely handle an out-of-state car accident. First, if you have purchased car accident insurance that meets the legal threshold of your state, your car insurance will meet any additional limits that exist in another state. Insurance companies understand that different states have different levels of minimum legal requirements for insurance. Therefore, insurance companies will simply provide you the level of insurance coverage you need for the state where you are involved in an accident, even if that coverage is higher than what you already have.

No-Fault Insurance States

It is also important to note that there are several states within that are considered to be no-fault insurance states. Every state has its own legal requirements regarding car insurance. In these states, every driver will be required to first go to their own insurance company to receive compensation for their injuries. If you are from a state that is not a no-fault insurance state, you will need to follow this state’s guidelines and ensure that you visit with your insurance company about receiving compensation for your injuries. The states that follow this type of insurance process are: Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Utah.

Contact a Car Accident Attorney

If you were involved in a car accident out-of-state, one of the most critical steps to take is to contact an experienced car accident attorney in Phoenix. Navigating the different types of insurance minimum standards as well as handling the negotiation with an insurance company can be a legally complex task. Our attorneys can ensure that your out-of-state accident claims are handled appropriately and that you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact the compassionate attorneys at the Law Office of Luis P. Guerra, LLC at 602-737-2567 or visit us online today to learn how to protect your legal rights.