Phoenix Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Phoenix Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you’re looking for a Phoenix pedestrian accident attorney or a group of Arizona pedestrian accident lawyers, then give us a call. There are plenty of reasons to take a stroll around Arizona. Whether it’s the plentiful retail shops, abundance of hiking trails, nice weather, or any other reason, Arizona offers more than ample opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors. While many of us view walking from Point A to Point B as harmless, that isn’t necessarily the case. If you or a loved one have been injured or killed by a careless driver as a pedestrian, call our firm. It’s time to consider one of our Phoenix pedestrian accident lawyers to help you obtain compensation for damages incurred by the negligent party.
With a large number of Phoenix pedestrian accident attorneys in the Arizona attorney market, choosing the right one can be very difficult. If you or a loved one have been affected by a pedestrian accident, you need experienced help. You must value your attorney’s experience and proven track record to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. We have recovered millions of dollars in motor vehicle damages, plenty of which were damages incurred by negligent drivers colliding with pedestrians. We go above and beyond to ensure our clients receive compensation to get their lives back on track.
In 2013, Arizona had 136 pedestrian deaths and over 750 pedestrian injuries — the majority of which were caused by driver negligence or carelessness. People cannot defend themselves from a 3,000-pound car or a 20,000-pound truck; oftentimes, drivers forget the responsibility they accept when getting behind the wheel. Negligent drivers must be held responsible for their actions. Our group of Arizona pedestrian accident attorneys does not simply understand this; we stand for this.
Happily Dedicated To Our Clients
When you choose us to represent you, you’ll understand what we mean when we say you are part of the family. We understand how difficult the litigation process can be. That’s why we pride ourselves in making the process as easy as possible so you can prioritize what matters most in these times of distress. Our Phoenix pedestrian accident lawyers will be there for you, in person, fighting for you and your family in court.
What to Do When You Get Hit By a Car as a Pedestrian
When you are walking and get hit by a car, it can be a traumatic experience, including physical injuries as well as emotional effects. Victims of pedestrian accidents often suffer financial difficulties due to time missed from work. They frequently suffer injuries that prevent them from performing daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, eating, sleeping, and even taking care of their home and family.
When you are hit by a motor vehicle, you may be knocked unconscious or are simply in a haze due to shock. There are certain things you should do when you are conscious and thinking clearly. Acting appropriately when you have been hit as a pedestrian will help guarantee your legal rights. Some of the steps you can take to protect yourself and look out for your future when you have been struck by a motorist include the following.
- See a medical professional immediately for a full evaluation. If you are not conscious or clear-headed after being struck by a vehicle, don’t force yourself. Witnesses or the motorist who struck you should see that you receive immediate medical attention. If you are conscious, you must seek medical attention on your own. Traumatic events like accidents often cause an adrenaline rush that may give you a false sense of well-being, so it is vital to be evaluated by a medical professional as soon as you can to ensure that you don’t have any injuries that are not immediately apparent.
- Keep records of your injuries. You should keep detailed notes of any injuries you feel, as well as any that are discovered upon medical examination. Keep things in mind such as areas you can plainly see injuries, parts of your body that feel sore, areas where your clothing is torn, any cuts or places where you are bleeding, even if they seem insignificant at the time.
- Call the police. One of the most important things to have when you have been struck by a vehicle is a written record of the events as you remember them. Unfortunately, you are not likely to have a pen and paper with you, so filing a police report is an ideal way to document the incident. This report will also help your attorney, and your insurance company may require it for your claim. It is important to try to remember every detail that you can at the time, as memories of traumatic events often fade quickly.
- Keep conversation to a minimum. It may be crucial to your case that you don’t discuss fault or details of the accident with the motorist or their insurance company at the time of the incident. The motorist’s lawyers or insurance company may be able to use your statements against you if your case should go to court. Only discuss the accident as you experienced it with medical personnel, police, your attorney, and your insurance company. You should also avoid making any conversation with the motorist’s insurance company, as even seemingly innocent conversation can later be used against you. If you must speak with their insurance provider, do not give them anything but your contact information, your attorney’s information, and your insurance information if they request it. Direct any other questions to your attorney.
- Call your insurance company. You should contact your own auto insurance company, even if you were walking at the time of the accident. Your insurance may still cover you and help you to cover disability and medical claims that you may need just after the accident.
- Call your attorney. You will want to have a skilled attorney on your side if you are struck by a motorist. Their insurance company will likely try to deny claims and place the blame on you. Even if they offer you a settlement, it is sure to be far less than what you deserve. Contacting a Phoenix pedestrian injury attorney is the best way to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
What Happens If You Hit a Pedestrian in a Crosswalk?
If you have hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk, it may involve major injuries or even fatalities, depending on the speed you were traveling at the time. Even if you were moving at a slow speed, however, you can seriously injure a pedestrian simply due to the nature of a heavy vehicle versus a fragile human body. For this reason, there are certain steps you must take to ensure the safety of the individual you struck and prevent any further issues. You will likely be shaken up and maybe in shock immediately after the accident. When you are able, it is essential to take the following steps.
- Ensure the safety of the pedestrian. Call for help immediately if the pedestrian or anyone else was injured in the accident. If you must perform CPR until help arrives, a 911 operator should be able to walk you through the process.
- Make other necessary calls. Once you have assessed any major injuries and called for emergency medical assistance, call the police and your auto insurance. When the police take a report, answer their questions to the best of your ability, although you may be in a dazed state of mind at the time.
- Exchange contact information only. Other than police, avoid speaking in great detail with anyone at the scene, including the pedestrian. Any statement you make to witnesses, family members, or the pedestrian’s insurance company could be used against you, even if you don’t think so at the time. Provide the pedestrian and their insurance company with your contact information and that of your attorney, but try not to say much more.
- Call your attorney. Even if it seems that there were no serious injuries and everyone is going to move on after the accident, you should get help. Reach out to Phoenix pedestrian accident lawyer in case the pedestrian has internal injuries that are not immediately apparent, or they decide after leaving the scene to pursue damages.
Who Is at Fault If a Car Hits a Pedestrian?
Most people assume that the driver is automatically at fault in a pedestrian accident, but that may not always be the case. The term “the pedestrian has the right of way” is commonly used, and it implies that the driver is always at fault in an accident, but there are circumstances that place the fault on the pedestrian in some situations. To determine the fault in a scenario where a pedestrian is hit by a motorist, you must look at the actions of the driver and the pedestrian. Consider these important factors.
- What was the pedestrian doing? When a pedestrian is in a crosswalk and acting in a way that guarantees them the right of way, it is rare that they will be assigned fault in an accident scenario. A pedestrian may be partially or fully at fault if they were not in a place where they have the right of way or were doing something not legally permitted to be doing.
- How was the driver behaving? If the driver was paying attention to the road, traveling at a safe speed, and driving where they were allowed to drive, they are unlikely to be at fault for the accident. For this reason, you must consider the actions of both the driver and the pedestrian when determining fault for the accident.
There are circumstances in which a driver and a pedestrian may share responsibility for the pedestrian accident. For instance, if a motorist is traveling faster than the speed limit and strikes a pedestrian, you would think they are at fault. However, if the pedestrian was jaywalking at the time, then they are both at fault. Many details are involved when determining fault for a pedestrian accident, so it is vital to have a Phoenix pedestrian accident lawyer on your side. Regardless of whether you were the driver or the pedestrian, an experienced attorney will be able to walk you through the legal process and achieve the best possible outcome.
Is a Pedestrian Ever at Fault?
Although there is a common misconception that the driver is always at fault in a pedestrian accident, there are situations in which both parties share liability, or the pedestrian is totally at fault. In these cases, the pedestrian will not likely be able to sue the driver for their injuries. In these situations, the driver may be able to recover compensation for their injuries or vehicle damage from the pedestrian.
Many of the circumstances in which a pedestrian is at fault in a pedestrian accident involve jaywalking. This term implies that the pedestrian is walking in a place where they shouldn’t be, with no regard for oncoming traffic. Typically, jaywalking occurs when a pedestrian is walking in the middle of the street, outside the bounds of a crosswalk, or crossing in a place where there is no crosswalk at all. Some other examples of scenarios where a pedestrian is at fault include:
- Pedestrians chasing balls or other sports equipment into the street
- Individuals looking at their mobile device and not paying attention to their surroundings
- Crossing a roadway without looking for oncoming traffic first
- Walking at night in dark clothing with no reflective gear
- Pedestrians in areas where walking is prohibited, like highways, bridges, and causeways
- Walking on any roadway while on drugs, drunk, or otherwise intoxicated
- Crossing in a crosswalk on a DO NOT WALK command
Proving some of these scenarios can be difficult, but it can mean a world of difference to a driver who is truly not to blame for a pedestrian accident. If you are involved in an accident with a pedestrian and believe that you are not at fault, it is crucial to speak with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney.
Schedule A Free Consultation Today
Finding a dedicated Phoenix pedestrian accident attorney can be quite a difficult task. If you have been affected by an accident as a pedestrian, give us a call. We’d love to speak with you and explain our representation. It’s important that you feel a connection with the attorneys who protect you. For that reason, we offer free consultations to answer all of your questions regarding our legal representation. Our legal fees are structured around a contingency basis, so you will only be responsible to pay our charges if we successfully recover compensation for you. Give us a call today!
Read What Clients Say About Us
Total rating 5★ Quality of Representation Excellent!!! These attorneys understand all that is required to achieve favorable results. Talking with Mr. Shapiro and Mr. Guerra is easy and comfortable. I highly recommend this law firm.
I was badly injured in an accident at work. I hired a well-known attorney to represent me, but it wasn’t till Luis Guerra and his firm joined my case that things actually began to take off. Luis Guerra took my case personally and fought hard for me like I was family. I truly believe that if it wasn’t for him I would not have received the settlement that I did! He is an aggressive and HONEST attorney who will fight for what is right. His entire firm is filled with love and compassion for the victims. In the unfortunate event that you or a loved one is injured, I would HIGHLY recommend Luis Guerra.
Not only did Mr. Guerra and Mr. Shapiro meet their reputation but by far exceeded my expectations. They are diligent advocates for their clients, professional and extremely responsive to all inquiries. Most importantly, they had the expertise and genuine personal concern for my well-being that inspired confidence and ultimately resulted in an outstanding result. Mr. Guerra and Mr. Shapiro are attorneys that are truly interested in the welfare of their clients. I highly recommend having their team on your side for any case.
Mr. Luis Guerra is one of the most caring and compassionate people I have ever met. Thank God there are still people like him in the world. He carefully explained the entire process to me so I was aware at all times what was going to happen next.
The quality of representation we received was of the highest anyone could expect. It was a privilege to work with Luis and his staff. I am extremely grateful that I chose you to be our attorney. I am relieved that this matter has been concluded. Thank You for representing us. God Bless You.
14631 N. Scottsdale Rd., #200,
Scottsdale, Arizona 85254
Request a Free Initial Consultation
The highlighted fields are required.
Start of the form